How do I plan a perfect bathroom?
A bathroom is one of the most essential parts of your home. Having a good bathroom can help you feel relaxed and help you get rid of the stresses of the day. It is also one of the main parts of the home that people pay the most attention to. However, the most important reason why a bathroom needs to be perfect is so that one can maintain proper hygiene. Improperly made or kept bathrooms are breeding hubs of germs and bacteria which can cause severe illnesses.
If your bathroom has been in the same shape for a long time, it may be due for renovation. Bathroom remodeling is an essential project which entails a lot of planning to ensure nothing is left out, especially the most vital parts. From redoing plumbing to refreshing accessories, this project includes a wide range of jobs. On the basis of many factors like requirements, financial constraints, preferences, and more, you can choose which tasks you need to undertake.
Table of Contents
Where do I start planning a bathroom?
If you know you need to start planning a bathroom for your home, the next biggest question that arises is where does the planning begin? Proper planning plays a vital role in giving your bathroom remodeling project a conscious direction that promotes efficiency. It also allows you time to assess all possible uses of the space, inspect the space, find the problems, and think of solutions for the same. Given the importance of planning, here is how you go about it:
- Inspect the bathroom: Before you can start planning the remodel, you need to conduct a preliminary inspection. Make this as thorough as possible. Don’t just focus on things that you have outgrown or are now bored with. Also, pay close attention to things or parts that show signs of damage and may need proper repair or replacement. Inspect cabinets and other fixtures to ensure there is no mold or other forms of damage.
- Determine Goals: Once you have done your inspection, you need to define your goals with the remodeling project. Do you just need an aesthetic change? Do you need to replace big items, is there extensive cleaning of pipes and drains required? Will you need to rip down the walls and check the plumbing systems? During this step, also determine what you want to be done during the remodeling or what outcome you hope to achieve.
- Budget Setting: Depending upon several factors, the bathroom remodel cost can quickly add up. As such, it is essential to set a budget to ensure you do not make choices that make you spend much higher than what you can afford. Budget setting will help you prioritize as well which is an essential portion of the remodel planning phase.
- Layout and Design: Once you have your budget set, you can go ahead with thinking of the design or layout you want for your new bathroom. A full bathroom remodel is the perfect opportunity to move things around and give your bathroom a completely new look. You can either look up online for the latest trends and styles for inspiration or even consult professionals if you want a custom or unique look. When designing, do not forget to focus on enhancing the functionality of the space while maintaining aesthetic appeal.
- Storage solutions: During the planning phase, it is also important while designing to plan the storage solutions for the bathroom. A bathroom remodel contractor near Carmel, ME can help you with ensuring your design is efficient and allows ample storage room. Your bathroom storage should have enough space to hold all the bathroom essentials and a proper place for everything to avoid a messy-looking bathroom.
- Selecting Fixtures: On the basis of the design, you will need to then start finding the right materials, fixtures, and lighting solutions. This process can be both easy and difficult in terms of staying within budget. While you will want to choose things that are within your budget, there may be some things that catch your eye, making compromising on the aesthetic difficult. Prioritize functionality and see where you can save money to make room for the relatively expensive things. However, do not compromise on the quality of the main materials as that can ultimately end up costing you more in the long run.
- Ventilation outlets: Good ventilation is one of the most important necessities of a well-designed bathroom. When designing the new look of your bathroom, do not overlook or forget to include good ventilation systems. There are many types of systems available to choose from. Select one which fits your needs and budget the best.
- Floor Refresh: Redoing the bathroom floors alone can refresh your bathroom if you do not want to do anything else. If you choose to change the floors, consider opting for materials that are resistant to moisture, as well as fall-preventive. It is also essential to choose options that are simple to clean, which means smoother surfaces that do not have a porous upper layer. To create a cohesive look, select the flooring color to complement the rest of the bathroom.
What should I install first in my bathroom?
Though it will depend upon your particular bathroom remodeling project, the order in which you install the various fittings is essential. This will ensure that you do not end up having to pull things apart or chip or damage certain items while installing others. In general, the order for installations in a bathroom remodel must go as follows:
- Plumbing: If your bathroom needs plumbing repair or you simply want to upgrade it, a bathroom remodel is the best time to do so. If you are including this task in your renovation project, make sure to tackle it first. This is because you will probably work with water pipes, drainage pipes, and vent pipes, and replace them. These usually go behind the walls, which makes them the essential first installation in the bathrooms.
- Bathtub and Toilet: The next installations will be your bathtub and toilet. Start with the bathtub and shower set as it is a lengthier process. Once that is done, install the toilet. For installation of both these objects, follow the rules given by the manufacturer. If you hire a bathroom remodel contractor near Holden, ME, the installations will be done more easily and without any faults. Once the installations are in place, make sure you check them by turning on the water supply line. This will help ascertain that there are no leaks that need to be taken care of. While installing, also ensure all the joints are strongly closed, and there are no gaps.
- Sink installation: The bathroom sink will be the next thing you install. Whether you opt for a single sink or a double sink installation, it should be installed properly to ensure it meets your needs. Get the height adjusted for your needs. You can also choose to do this after the walls, however, there can be some damage to the wall like paint chipping when installing the sink. When installed, check the water supply line to ensure there are no leaks.
- Walls: Although you will want to put up any portions of the walls that may have been ripped off for plumbing repairs at an earlier stage, proper wall installation can be done after installing the ceramic pieces. This means installing tiles and painting the walls of the bathroom as you need. Cover up your bathtub, toilet, and sinks before starting this installation to avoid spills and stains. Once this is done, you can install the bathroom vanity and complete the sink portion as well. This includes installing the mirror or glass fixtures.
- Floors: After the walls, it’s time to install the new flooring. When selecting a flooring material, make sure you choose one which prevents slips. Also, moisture resistance is a vital feature of bathroom flooring. In addition to these features, it is also important to use a material that will not rot or develop mold. You may also want to use additional waterproofing materials in the bathroom. Consult your bathroom remodel contractor near Carmel, ME for the best advice.
- Steel Fixtures: Once all the big installations are in place, it is time to focus on details. In this category, steel fixtures like taps, faucets, safety bars, and toilet paper holders are included. When installing these details in the bathroom, make sure they are properly tight and there are no leaks or faults in the fixtures.
- Electricals: Plug points, switches, and other electrical details come next in the order of fixture installations. During this time, you can also fix the lights or bulbs which you want in your bathroom. Before installing the electricals, it is essential to understand the local codes regarding safety standards and ensure your electrical fixtures are in alignment with them. You can even have a municipal inspector inspect the site for more clarification.
- Finalizing: During the final phase, you need to inspect every renovation, as well as put up any final touches in the bathroom. This includes adding accessories or accents of your choice that make your bathroom more beautiful. Clean up any remaining stains, and the bathroom is ready for utilization.
How much does a bathroom remodel cost?
A bathroom remodeling project can be an expensive undertaking depending on how much renovation you need. The expenses also vary on the basis of the region where you reside. In addition to that, the quality, intricacy, and type of design, layout, and fixtures or installations you choose also make a significant impact on the costs.
Since there are so many variables, it is much more helpful to consult a professional contractor to get a closer estimate of the bathroom remodel cost for your project. Describing your needs and expectations will help them give you a rough estimate close to what you can expect. However, in general, the costs can be something as follows:
- Hiring professionals: When renovating a bathroom and hiring professionals like designers and contractors, you need to get multiple quotes to choose one that fits your budget and does a good job. Professionals ensure the work is done well and without any mistakes which makes hiring them a safer bet than opting for DIY. The fees levied by all can have some variations and include some extra services or lesser services. A detailed consultation and understanding of what you will get is essential to get the best worth.
- Raw Materials: The quality and kind of fixtures you purchase will make a big impact on your overall costs. The fancier the fixtures and installations, the higher the price will be. Plan your budget so that you can purchase the kind of fixtures that you wish to have. In general, you can expect to spend between $5000 to $20,000 for basic to high-quality products.
- Labor: Depending upon the intricacy of the design you choose for your bathroom, the labor costs will also vary. Usually, labor costs are calculated on the basis of the number of hours plus the difficulty of the task. However, different contractors may charge differently.
- Essentials: Essential renovations like plumbing jobs and materials for the same are another important cost that you need to factor in. Depending on how much work is needed to ensure all is good and up to code, the charges will vary. The exact estimate can be offered by the contractor you choose.
- Customizations: If you include any custom features or additional features beyond the regular, you will incur more expenses. Make sure you have an ample budget for these customizations if you really want them. Alternatively, you can compromise and go for more budget-friendly options.
Emergencies: Keeping an emergency fund of about 1/3rd of your total estimate is also vital. This may be useful in case of unforeseen costs, or if no contingencies occur, you save that money.
Affordable Bathroom Remodel
Bathroom Remodeling Contractor near Bangor, ME
Time to transform your bathroom from drab to fab!
Are you tired of your outdated bathroom? Need a change but worried about the costs? We’re here to help. We specialize in high-quality, yet affordable bathroom remodels tailored to your needs and budget.
From minor updates to full-scale renovations, we offer comprehensive solutions that will breathe new life into your bathroom. And guess what? We provide FREE estimates!
Don’t let your dream bathroom remain a dream. Get in touch with us today for your no-obligation, free quote and let’s start turning your bathroom into the oasis you deserve.
Affordability and quality go hand-in-hand with us! Your dream bathroom is just a call away!